SEO copywriting is the process of writing content with the intent of ranking well in search engine results pages (SERPs). Put another way, it’s content that is optimized for SEO.
Good content that ranks isn’t content that is optimized for SEO only. Instead, it’s content that keeps the reader's experience in mind and ensures it answers any questions about the target keyword or phrase.
- Know How to Find Keywords
To write SEO-friendly content, you need to know how to find the right keywords. Here are some insider secrets to effortlessly selecting the perfect keywords:
- Use keyword research tools: There are a number of free and paid tools available that can help you find the right keywords for your website and content.
- Think like your target audience: What terms and phrases would they use to search for your products or services?
- Optimize Your Title Tags
Your title tags are one of the most important aspects of your on-page SEO. They should be unique, descriptive, and keyword-rich.
Here are a few for writing SEO-friendly title tags:
Use multiple keywords: You want your title tag to accurately reflect what’s on the page. That means using one keyword isn’t always appropriate. Make sure to incorporate multiple keywords into your title tag to reflect the content below.
Maximize length: Although your individual pages should be a reasonable length, your title tag can convey how lengthy — or not — a page is. Use the full 140 characters allowed by Google.
Include your keyword first: It goes without saying that your title tag should emphasize your primary keyword. At the same time, don’t make it obvious that you’re stuffing keywords into your content. So put your keyword at
- Optimize Your Meta Descriptions
Keep your meta descriptions between 50-160 characters. Use relevant keywords and phrases in your meta descriptions. Write unique meta descriptions for each page of your website avoiding duplicate or boilerplate meta descriptions. This will help ensure that your content is professional and polished.
Additionally, make sure your meta descriptions are readable and user-friendly. Use actionable language in your meta descriptions instead of simply stuffing keywords into your meta descriptions for the sake of it. Be sure to proofread your meta descriptions and keep them up to date on a regular basis. This will ensure that your website's search engine optimization is as strong as possible.
- Use Target Keywords Strategically
When it comes to writing SEO-friendly content, one of the most important things to keep in mind is the use of target keywords. By strategically placing these keywords throughout your content, you can help improve your chances of ranking higher in search engine results pages.
Here are two common tips to help you use target keywords strategically:
- Use one main keyword
You shouldn’t try to incorporate every single keyword that relates to your blog post. Focus on one main keyword and make it central to the topic of your content. This will help readers understand what your post is about, and it will also help SEO bots identify what the post is about so they can add relevant content to their database.
- Use the keyword multiple times
There’s no set amount of times you should use your target keyword; it all depends on how much relevance it has to your post. If your keyword only comes up a few times within the text, it’s unlikely to rank for any keywords unless it’s extremely competitive. On the other hand, if your keyword comes up too frequently, readers will find it repetitive and boring, and SEO bots will consider it spammy. So, find that sweet spot and write accordingly.
- Structure Your Pages
When it comes to writing SEO-friendly content, there are a few things you can do to ensure your pages are properly structured:
- First, make sure your titles are clear and concise.
- Second, use headings and subheadings to break up your content and make it easy to read.
- Third, use bullet points or numbered lists to make your content easier to scan.
- Optimize Your Images
Images are an important part of any website or blog, and optimizing them for search engine optimization (SEO) can help ensure that they are seen by as many people as possible.
Some tips to keep in mind when creating content with images include using keyword-rich file names and alt text, as well as optimizing image size and format. Additionally, using images that are relevant to the topic of your article can help improve your article's SEO.
- Reference Relevant External Sources
You need to make sure your SEO content is well-researched and based on reliable sources. This means referencing relevant external sources when you write content. By doing this, you not only add credibility to your content but also give search engines more signals that your content is relevant to a particular topic or keyword.
- Promote Your Content
If you want your content to be found by search engines and searchers, you need to make sure to promote your content across social media and other channels to get the most exposure possible.
Here are a few general tips that can help you promote your content more effectively:
- Use social media: Make sure to post your content on relevant platforms where your target audience is active, and use hashtags and other tools to make it more discoverable.
- Promote through email: If you have a database of email addresses, you can use this to promote your content directly in the form of newsletters to your subscribers.
- Monitor Your Progress
If you're serious about writing SEO-friendly content, then you need to monitor your progress to ensure that your efforts are paying off. Here are a few tips to help you do just that:
- Use Google Analytics to track your traffic: This will give you an idea of how many people are reading your content and how it's performing in search engines.
- Check your keyword rankings regularly: This will help you gauge how well your content is ranking for specific keywords and help you adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Monitor your backlink profile: This will give you an idea of how many people are linking to your content and where they're coming from.
- Use social media analytics to track your social engagement: This will indicate how many people have shared your content on social media and where they're located.
- Keep Your Content Fresh
One of the most important things you can do when writing content for your website is to keep it fresh. This means regularly adding new and relevant content to your site.
If you want to keep your website content fresh, competitive, and relevant, there are a few key things to keep in mind:
- First, regularly publish new and unique content. This will keep your site visitors engaged and coming back for more.
- Second, monitor your competitor's content to see what's working well for them and see if there are any gaps in their coverage that you can fill.
- Finally, update your content on a regular basis to ensure that it stays current and accurate.