Since the past decade, we have witnessed an explosion of technology. It has permeated every area of our lives. With internet facilities becoming more accessible, a greater number of people are now relying on it to seek answers to their problems. Today, people cannot live without being a part of the digital world. While it is a move in the right direction, it also has a slight downside for businesses hoping to cash on this burgeoning online presence. Why? You may ask.
Well, everyone has now become pickier and smarter. They don't waste time looking through ads and know the importance of research before hitting the 'Buy' button. But all's not lost. You, too, can leverage the same tactic. By researching your customer base and making your web presence search engine or SEO optimized, you can easily navigate various challenges in lead generation.
However, businesses often find it difficult where to focus more. On search engine optimization or lead generation? Both are important and matter in different ways for a business.
Let's start with the basics first.
SEO – What Is It?
Search Engine Optimization entails developing the type of content that satisfies the queries of users on various search engines. It can dramatically enhance your online web presence and your content on search engine result pages if you do it rightly.
It is an umbrella term that refers to taking every possible step for gaining better web visibility. From link building to keyword placement, and social media marketing, almost anything and everything that alerts the search engine about your content comes under it.
It involves directing your attention to captivating customer interest in your service or product with an objective to increase sales. Lead generation helps you attract qualified leads and facilitates robust business growth.
The Connection between SEO and Lead Generation
Let's highlight the connection between these two things with an example.
Suppose a company has resorted to remote setup for some reason. The HR is unfamiliar with how to help staff in different projects, so he conducts a Google search and writes things like 'remote working collaboration solutions.' Soon, he comes across a blog post listing tips for making use of video conferencing for work from home roles. He realizes that his company does not possess such a solution.
Shortly, he finds a section in the blog about the way Zoom enables remote work collaboration. It also has an extra reference. He clicks that reference that further delves into Zoom's significance and starts reading different kinds of content related to Zoom. The HR then subscribes to the newsletter of Zoom and becomes a lead of this brand.
Understanding User Intent
If you want to utilize SEO for lead generation, you need to get the hang of a concept known as 'user intent.' It refers to the real meaning that rests behind the keywords that people use when searching for their queries. Primarily, there are two kinds of user intent. They are:
- To get information – It means when a person is trying to gain knowledge about a topic.
- To buy – When a person shops for something that the keyword describes.
Google's job is to provide people with a high-quality user experience. Their robust algorithm works day and night to figure out the intent behind the search terms used by people. Let's get the concept of user intent further clear with the help of an example.
A search for the word 'CRM', which stands for Customer Relationship Management, will give results that are mainly CRM software companies wanting to sell their software. It means that when people search for CRM, they have the intent to purchase or buy. In contrast, the term 'artificial intelligence' brings about radically different results. You will find information about what customer relationship means and its importance. It means when people search for it, they have the intent to seek information, not purchase.
So, when you understand your users' intention, you can direct them to content that fulfills their requirements. For example, according to the information given above, if you're are a business that sells CRM, you should ensure that your content has a page that talks about your CRM offering. But suppose you are a business that is selling AI-enabled automation tools. In that case, you have to focus on providing informative content about artificial intelligence to people.
How to Generate Leads with Search Engine Optimization
1. Optimize your content
- Keywords, the words that your target audience is using to find answers to their queries on various search engines, are extremely important for you to gain better visibility. When putting keywords on your web content, don't always go for those that have a high volume. Using them will only pit you against your competitors. Instead, go for those that have a lower search volume. Use them to stand out from the crowd.
- Another great way to enhance your leads is to leverage backlinks. They are the inbound hyperlinks from one page to another page of a different site. You can spy on your competitors and steal these links ethically from them. You can do it by determining who is linking to the areas of your competitor. You can easily create a database of prospective customers for yourself through it. Tools like SEMrush help you achieve this feat.
- Long-tail keywords are your friends. They refer to phrases that are particular to your specific product. Very often, they are around 3 to 4 words in length. For example, 'places to visit Arizona'. Using these types of keywords on your web content, you can aid the search engine in directing the traffic to your page.
- Don't forget to optimize your website for mobile devices. A whopping number of people are now buying goods and services from their phones. Moreover, with Google's mobile-first indexing, it's important that your site becomes responsive for both desktop and mobile.
2. Start making content clusters.
Do not think that just making a few content pieces with relevant keywords will enhance your online presence. Search engines like Google employ some powerful algorithms. They no longer look only at keywords to provide accurate search results to their users. Instead, they focus more on the context and intention.
It means creating research-driven quality content in your domain. Topic clusters mean making content on a variety of topics related to your niche. It puts you in a position of authority. This context-based content makes Google put your page forward for those who are trying to get information about a specific topic.
3. Leverage Email Marketing
Email marketing is a timeless tactic to generate leads mainly because it fosters a personal connection with your prospects. But do not confuse it with just sending ads of your business to loads of people. Email marketing needs to be creative and possess a degree of personalization. The top ways by which SEO company experts use email to generate leads are:
- Making use of email forms on your web page. It makes it effortless for your site visitor to contact you if they want to engage with your services or receive updates.
- Creating engaging newsletters is another great way to generate leads.
- Using an email marketing platform to automate sending emails.
- Customer segmentation or splitting all your prospects into groups according to their requirements.
4. Lead magnets
Apart from landing pages, you also have other pages on your website. It does not make any sense to not view them as something that can bring you leads. It is why lead magnets are there. Lead magnets can be case studies, checklists, eBooks, whitepapers, infographics, and premium memberships.
Just showcase a form to your users and let them know how helpful it is for them if they use it, and you are good to go.
5. Become a guest contributor
If you think about it carefully, you have various platforms at your disposal to create leads. At present, loads of websites accept content contributions from external sources. You can showcase your talent by creating content and extending your reach.
For becoming a guest contributor, identify a website with a solid authority in your niche. Provide them content ideas that will be valuable for their as well as your audience. If they get convinced, then it's a great way for you to generate leads easily.
6. Advertise on social media
Social media marketing is a cheap yet effective way of garnering thousands of leads. For starters, just compare the rate per lead on Facebook with a search engine like Google. It is just $0.80 in contrast with $2.50.
The advantages of social media go far more than just cheap advertising. It is a powerful way of directly interacting and engaging with your audience. Facebook accurately analyses what the people want, so it is the best platform for you if you're just starting out.
Another great platform for businesses is LinkedIn. After you have zeroed down on the platform on which you wish to engage with your audience, start by creating a business page or a group. You can also set up a chatbot on this platform. The next step is to roll out paid ads.
Next, connect to gated content. It means content that people can download after they fill a form. Share as much content as you can through real-time mediums like webinars and videos.
While talking about social media, it's important for you not to use them only once or twice a week. Search engines like Google index content on social media. It means that the more active and consistent you are there, the more is the likelihood of your posts appearing on the search engine result pages.
The importance of social media has become even more pronounced today because many times, people directly use these platforms rather than search engines to search for a specific item. In such a case, you should take steps to optimize your page to gain greater visibility.
Here are some great ways to use social media.
- Adding some keywords to your bio and name.
- Describe every one of your posts in a unique manner, and don't forget to include keywords in them.
- Perform research on the kind of hashtags your target audience uses and include them in your post.
- Lastly, add a button on your website that can facilitate easy sharing of content.
7. Utilize affiliate marketing
Did you know that apart from your customers, you can also get yourself promoted by other brands? Affiliate marketing refers to a type of marketing when a third-party consent to advertising you on their website. For each purchase the user makes on your advertisement on their site, they get a specific portion of the money as commission.
It sounds simple, but you have to track these commissions using special tools. You can get the services of an affiliate marketing network for this task or use the software and look for affiliates by yourself.
8. Collect positive words about yourself
Positive reviews and testimonials can be regarded as a part of your own success story. The only difference is that they are written by someone who is pleased with your work. People may miss the content on your site, but they will never miss what others have to say about you.
If you want to use customer feedback to generate leads, then go the extra mile and create a page dedicated to displaying testimonials and other good things about you.
Summing It All
Today, the market is characterized by a volatile environment. Search engine optimization is also a dynamic concept whose definition is undergoing a rapid transformation at frequent intervals. To gain more leads, you need to focus on user intent and then structure your content accordingly. The techniques mentioned above can aid you a lot in your lead generation efforts.
When it comes to optimizing for the search engine, experience always triumphs over everything else. Pro Marketer, an SEO company based in Toronto, specializes in placing your website in a leading position. Reach us anytime if you wish to carve a solid web presence for your brand.